Explore South Africa
4 Day Madikwe Photo Tour – South Africa’s best kept secret hidden away in the Nortwest Province, Madikwe Private Game Reserve.
4 Day Madikwe Photo Tour – Midweek Special
Visit Madikwe private game reserve with sightings of a huge diversity of mammals and birdlife
Discover our Madikwe
4 Day Madikwe Photo Tour – The Madikwe Game Reserve
4 Day Madikwe Photo Tour will be held in Madikwe Game Reserve is a conservation area in South Africa’s North West Province, bordering Botswana. It is currently the fifth largest game reserve in South Africa and yet not widely known. The park is now 680 km² with grassland, forest and rocky Tshwene Tshwene hills are home to the Big 5 and also Cheetah plus endangered wild dogs.
A special feature of Madikwe lies in its unique location, a transition zone on the edges of the Kalahari, where a number of rare species occur naturally, and the bushveld. The climate is generally mild to hot, but winter nights can be cold. Over 350 species of birds have been recorded at Madikwe. The reserve is relatively close to Pilanesberg Game Reserve and there is a long-term plan to develop a corridor between the two parks. The area is bordered in the south by the Dwarsberg Mountains.
Mosetlha Bush Camp & Eco Lodge
Mosetlha will be our home for the stay. It is a rustic and intimate, unfenced bush camp nestling at the very heart of the magnificent Madikwe Game Reserve. They are this Reserve’s only authentic bush camp and genuine eco lodge – the unpolished gem in Madikwe’s crown! The camp is unfenced and guests are accommodated in true safari style. There are raised wooden cabins set amongst the natural vegetation around a central campfire and lapa area.
Cabins have partly open sides and are arranged in adjoining or detached double rooms with twin beds and simple amenities. Duvets, pillows, blankets and towels are provided by us. (And hot water bottle for those cold winter nights! Our showers are safari showers and water is heated through a donkey boiler. Whilst bathrooms are not en suite, they are essentially private – fenced toilet/shower complexes are discreetly situated amongst the cabins. It has always been the mission to provide an exclusive and unique wilderness experience for guests, with minimal ecological impact on the surroundings
Catering is of a high standard. All meals in the a prepared in a traditional bush style on the open fire. Included, too, are tea, coffee, fruit juice, rusks, fruit and snacks throughout the day and on your daily walks and drives. Drinks are sold at a nominal mark up and not at usual “hotel” prices. We have a really nice wine selection sourced from local SA vineyards.
Custiom dates and planning only
Tour information and daily routine
Check in time at the Madikwe Gate is 12.30 (Not before) and you will be directed from there to where you will park your car and one of our guides will meet you and bring you back to the Camp to start your Mosetlha Eco-Experience!
On arrival at the Camp Day 1:
- You can unpack and settle in and Lunch will be ready for you.
- High tea and group Photography briefing around 14h30.
- We will leave on our first game drive at roughly 15h15 (as it is winter we use as much light as we can)
- Drinks and snacks stop before sunset
- In the hours after sunset we will use spotlights if and when subjects allow for photography
- Game drive ends at roughly 19h15 depending on sightings
- 19h45 a wholesome and traditionally cooked dinner will be waiting for you.
- After this,we will make our way to the campfire and share the experiences of the day before collapsing into bed
Mornings of Day 2 and 3:
- Morning we’ll wake you up for a quick cup of coffee and an early morning start
- Game drive time will be in the region of 06h30 due to it being winter.
- We return at approximately 10h15 and enjoy breakfast (toast, cereals and muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs and cheese)
- There will be a Q&A session after breakfast with Andrew should you need some advice or work on any of your technical skills
- You can then head to your cabin and chill before lunch, read your book, do some bird spotting at the little water holes we have around the camp.
Afternoon program then as per day one
Morning of day 4:
- Same routine as day 2 and 3.
- After breakfast we will have a final Q&A session where you will then depart for home from the car park at roughly midday
What to bring:
- DSLR/Mirrorless cameras and lenses
- Laptop with editing software should you wish to work on your images
- Binoculars and camera. NO SHARING due to COVID regulations
- ID / Drivers License / Passport is compulsory for all clients
- Layered clothing – it can be very cool in the early morning and hot later in the day.
- Some cash for spending money as sometimes card machines are offline in the bush.
- A buff, sunglasses, hat, beanie and sunscreen highly recommended.
4 Day Madikwe Photo Tour
Each tours is designed on your requiremts andthe number of guests. Dates can be adjusted to your own timing.
- Tea, coffee, hot chocolate
- Brunch, lunch, high tea and dinner
- Guide & Photo Host
- Private game drive vehicle
- Excludes all meals not listed
- All alcoholic beverages
- All items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
- Park & conservation fees
Validity to be confirm on enquiery
Discounted rates only apply to RSA/SADC residents only
Bookings subject to change and availability – T&C apply
Madikwe Private Photo Safari - Safari Enquiry
Wild Expressions Photo Tours & Safaris acts as a 3rd party when distributing information relating to the Corona Virus (CoVID-19) and cannot be held responsible directly or indirectly for any loss / damages caused by the CoVID-19 virus. Any information provided is in no way meant to replace the guidance of your doctors and/or healthcare professionals and we as Wild Expressions Photo Tours & Safaris will unfortunately be unable to answer any medical related questions or provide medical advice on the subject of the CoVID-19 virus.